Pages

Heavenly Honey makes this Rhubarb Coffee Cake Scrumptious!

Rhubarb Coffee Cake

Vermont almost missed its spring crops, with the onslaught of rain; it was looking doubtful that anything in the garden would survive. I’m tickled pink that the rhubarb we planted last year (in raised beds) not only survived, but a gorgeous crop has been plundered.



I have waited a whole year to make this recipe. Ever since I saw it on the FarmPlate blog, I’ve been drooling. 

"I'm serious!"

Scott and I went to Red Wagon Plants and bought a rhubarb plant last year (well we bought a lot of other honey bee friendly plants too, but today only the rhubarb matters -smile). 

Although the stocks looked lovely, I was instructed to hold off on harvesting until this year.  Always looking for an opportunity to use Heavenly Honey, I've adopted the recipe just a bit so that our honey could be used in the batter instead of sugar. 

Like I said, I’ve been waiting twelve months, and today was the day. Memorial Day 2012 began with a cup of coffee and three servings (but who’s counting) of this scrumptious rhubarb coffee cake.

Credit for this recipe is given to Vivian Stuck, and I have altered it where noted.

1 stick (8 Tbsp) unsalted butter (I'm a Cabot fan)
1 C liquid Heavenly Honey (my alteration)
2 large fresh eggs (from my neighbor [They are free-range chickens that do most of their grazing in my yard.])




2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 C
King Arthur unbleached all-purpose flour (my alteration) 
1 C King Arthur white whole-wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 C sour cream or buttermilk (I used the sour cream)
2 ½ C diced rhubarb


Topping
1/2 C sugar

3/4 tsp ground cinnamon (my alteration)

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. (I used Pam)

Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.

In another bowl, whisk together the flours, soda and salt.

In two additions, add the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture alternating with the sour cream or buttermilk. 

Beat to blend. Stir in the diced rhubarb. Spread the batter in the prepared pan.

Combine the sugar and cinnamon for the topping. Sprinkle over the cake batter.

Bake until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let cool and cut into squares.

Makes 12 squares

YUM! 


(You are encouraged to copy, share or repost this recipe, please give credit to my website Heavenly Honey Apiary at www.vtbeekeeper.com or this blog link--Thank you!)

1 comment:

Jacquelyn said...

Looks delicious! I'm bookmarking the recipe for when I get some rhubarb this season :) Thanks for supporting the farm families who own Cabot!

~Jacquelyn