Knowing that the beekeeping season was upon us, we headed out on Monday afternoon for a 24-hour getaway to the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, Vermont. Just me and my honey of a beekeeper husband. Tuesday morning after enjoying a scrumptious breakfast we geared up, and went for a snowshoeing adventure. There was about 4 inches of fresh snow atop mounds of accumulated powder. Talk about your gorgeous day! I worked up quite a sweat, but I had a wonderful time. Scott mentioned during our trek, "Just think, you are standing on the same ground that Maria Von Trapp probably walked on many times over the years."
All good things come to an end, and today it was back to work for me. Although Scott had a bit of excitement as WCAX newscaster Kristin Carlson interviewed him this afternoon. This was his second interview with our local news station. This time he discussed what a beekeeper does in the apiary during early Spring, and he explained how we determine Winter losses. You can watch it below>>
And how do I personally know that it's beekeeping season again? Well tonight when I walked into the home office, in my stocking feet, I came to a dead halt as my right foot started to come down on top of a honeybee. Not sure if it was dead or alive, and even if dead they are known to still have their venom stored--I quickly sidestepped the intruder. I was glad that I got my Epipens out of Winter storage on Friday, "just in case".
Let the 2011 beekeeping season begin!

No comments:
Post a Comment