Pages

It's a Sticky Business

"If you build it, he will come" --Shoeless Joe Jackson, Field of Dreams

When Bill Mares found out that we purchased a twenty frame honey extractor, he told us that there would be a lot of hobbyist beekeepers that would want to have us harvest their honey. This is something that we hadn't thought about, we simply purchased the extraction machine because we had been borrowing a two frame hand-crank extractor from a friend. With our increasing colonies this was not going to be a practical way to gather our Vermont honey from the honeycomb. 

Research done, and webpage created, we were now in the honey extraction business. Call me cynical. I didn't expect our efforts to be fruitful. I lacked "my field of dreams". But we "built it" and they have come! It's September 16, 2010, and we still have customers lined up for two weeks to extract their honey. 


Scott and I have been spending every available moment (except for me to write this post-wink) in the honey house. Speaking of honey house, even though it is in a detached building from our home, you don't want to visit us right now unless you can handle a little stickiness. The doorknobs are sticky, the stairwell is sticky, the floors are sticky, our clothes are sticky. I swear, I take my shoes off in the mudroom, and I wipe my hands before leaving the honey house but...






Photo courtesy of Siona Watson
via creative commons license on flickr.com
Thank you Siona

No comments: