I attended the first Addison County Beekeepers club meeting tonight. Organized by my honey, Scott. We hosted at our house. Not a central spot for the county, but we needed to start somewhere, and the house was clean, so why not offer our home! The fact that we are at the northern tip of Addison County made me appreciative to those that traveled to attend this get-together.
Seven were in attendance, and we interacted for about 90 minutes. Basically we discussed why should we have an Addison County club, what are the goals and purpose of such a club. For some it is the desire to connect with other beekeepers closer to home, while others are greatly interested in the club meeting the needs of intermediate beekeepers. Pooling resources and making bulk purchases was another common objective. Simplicity in the structure of the club was encouraged, so that we can devote more time with the bees and not managing the club.
Personally, I hope to hook up with others that are using products from the hive, and receive some hands-on training in techniques such as rendering beeswax, and candle making. I’m also interested in anything that we can do to continue to produce the purest Vermont honey that nature can provide. We don’t use chemicals, and each year we add to our landscape flora that the honeybees will benefit from, but I know that there is still so much to learn…

No comments:
Post a Comment