Pages

Opposites Attract



After twenty-three years together, one might think that we’d grow more alike. Beekeeping has proven to keep the opposite traits going strong. I enjoy sitting in my Adirondack chair, which is nestled in a horseshoe shaped wildflower garden. The luring attraction is the distinct buzzing language that the honey bees make. I read my morning devotion, or if it’s a sunny weekend afternoon, I’ll sit for a spell and pickup a novel that I wish I had more time to read. I read—then look up—admire the work going on by these busy little bees. It’s an exceptionally special day, when I get to closely encounter one or two of these little creatures as they take a break—landing on my forearm or shoulder. I examine them and watch them clean themselves—both of God’s creations at ease.


Now my darling husband, on the other hand, can’t get used to the buzzing noise of the bees. The closer they get to his ear, the more distressed he becomes. Over the past two summers he has gained confidence working in our hives, but has yet to overcome this phobia. I told him the other day that I’d be happy to record the sweet sound that the honey bees make, and play it in his ear while he sleeps. I’m confident that soon they’ll be lulling him into a peaceful state just like they do me.

No comments: