Fresh Bee Pollen Granules aka “Superfood”



Reading, learning, waiting, and now it’s finally time to begin collecting bee pollen from our hives. Last year we invested in a pollen trap however, owing to the non-stop rainy summer, we never attempted to use it. We wanted our honeybees to keep all the pollen that they gathered during the short summer season because pollen is key to their winter survival; thus, delayed gratification for me.

Yes, as I've said, my waiting is over! Last week we collected our first batch of pollen—3 ounces of this incredibly rich “complete food”. It’s like taking your daily food pyramid requirement and squeezing it into a handful of bee pollen granules. These yellow, orange, white, green, and tan granules gathered on the hind legs of the worker bees (looks like they’re wearing orange booties – see photo) are packed with vitamins such as C, E and B-complex, (yippee more stamina for me), minerals, amino acids, enzymes, etc. It is composed of 55% carbohydrates, 35% protein, 3% vitamins and minerals, 2% fatty acids, and 5% other substances. Basically, it's one of the most nutritionally complete natural substances we can consume.

I enjoy one-tablespoon of pollen granules daily. I find it somewhat sweet, and perhaps a tad earthy in flavor. The granules are soft and moist, and I just toss them into my mouth and savor. However, I have recently read that my fresh granules should be soaked for up to 12 hours in water or OJ to help increase (by a huge percentage) the pollen absorption in the digestive system. So I will further investigate this.

Disclaimer. This post is about my personal experience with bee pollen, and it is not intended in anyway to be medical advice. Some people that are known to have anaphylactic shock should not consume bee pollen without first discussing it with their medical practitioner. 

1 comment:

Madza Ali said...

Great blog. The picture in the post captures me. I mean as a bee farmer you are very sure that your bee pollen is 100% all natural. Me, myself I have to double check where my bee pollen supplement comes from.